Friday 19 November 2010

Day 4 - 25 October


After everything I said about yesterday it is hard to believe that there is another day that provided more shocks and challenges and confronting images, smells, sounds and experiences to assault my senses. It is the day that has stayed with me more than any other of my trip.

It could be that I was not prepared when I hopped in the tuk tuk from the guesthouse for the images which were to meet us. We arrived to see this scene. Yes the water is a sewer. This is the view from the balcony in the centre of the picture.
This was hard enough but then we walked into the dwellings. You could scarcely call them homes. I felt like a voyeur but couldn't help myself. I simply had to take photos of the children as I couldn't believe that parents raise children in this kind of environment. The little faces haunt me daily and I certainly would have taken half a dozen of them home to Australia if I could have done so.

We went from there to another slum village. Not easy to see but slightly better to look at than the sewer we had just seen (and smelt).

No comments:

Post a Comment