Thursday 2 December 2010

Day 5 - 26 October

I spent the day at the Child Care Centre and the Learning Centre helping out. At the Child Care Centre we spent the morning washing and dressing children, playing with them and sitting in on their group time and book reading.
At the Learning Centre I spent time with Pat and the national teachers developing as many learning materials and helpful strategies for the teachers as we thought would translate well into the Learning Centre environment. It was so difficult to communicate without the language as concepts are difficult to communicate without educational understanding as the language is a little more complex than 'Hello' 'How are you?'
I had taken quite a few things to donate including clothing, reading books etc. I also took a disc from school with so many ideas for reading resources including templates for books. I don't know how useful they are when they have to be translated but I hope some of the material is helpful.
I was inspired about how much help I could be in this setting. I know I could make a difference in the education of these children. I can only see two things which could stop me from functioning well in the ministry.
1. A lack of language and the difficulty learning Khmer language.
2. The oppressive heat, humidity, smells, food, and any other lifestyle difference you care to name.
All things that can be overcome but certainly a challenging environment to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment