Monday 20 December 2010

Day 9 - 30 October


What an interesting day to show the convoluted process of travel in Cambodia! It took the whole day to travel to Thailand from Siem Reap.
The bus trip through the border was definitely something I wouldn't want to do often. You certainly need patience to deal with a border crossing. Bus stops before the border. Processed on the Cambodian side of the border. We walked with our gear across the 'no man's land' and then waited to be processed on the Thai side of the border, both of which consisted of long queues and much form filling. We took a taxi to Pattaya and booked into a lovely motel. We walked to the beach for a swim. A refreshing dip but nothing to write home to Queensland about. (The beaches do not compare) The sand is covered in beach chairs, but don't dare sit on one unless you are prepared to pay. Someone will come and collect in an instant.
Dinner, illustrated above, was full of so much chilli I would have burned up if I had eaten them.
After dinner we went for a walk I will never forget. I have never seen debauchery like I saw that night. We walked through street after street, brothel beside brothel beside brothel. It would be difficult to count the number of girls offering their bodies but I'm told that the number of brothels is in the thousands in just the one district. I could have taken photos but it just felt voyeuristic and inappropriate. The number of disgusting old western men draped all over young Thai girls made me feel physically sick.
An interesting coincidence that we were there on Halloween night. The Halloween street parade, in progress during our walk, felt to me as I imagine Hell will feel, the most oppressive evil I think I have ever felt. Such a sense of hopelessness and helplessness.

No comments:

Post a Comment