Sunday 11 July 2010

Learning to live - food intolerances

It is such a struggle to be Aspie in a neuro typical world! And the worst of it is that it doesn't matter how old we are and how much life experience we have, being an Aspie continues to be challenging. As I strive to make sense of the world, I believe that the benefit of this process is to both the Aspie and the NT. As I work on making myself more 'socially acceptable' I believe that part of my contribution to the understanding of those on the Autistic Spectrum is to help the NT to understand and become more tolerant of Aspies.

So perhaps this blog is part of that process. My most recent step forward in finding my way in this confusing world has been through understanding my own food intolerances. It has been an amazing process. Removing gluten has made incredible changes in my life. Sure, my digestion has improved, my unsettled tummy has settled, my weight has stabilised, my general health and feeling of wellness have improved.

But the most amazing change has occurred in my mental health. The panic attacks have gone. The need for medication has lessened. I am now able to relax and handle many of the daily challenges that would previously have sent me into an anxious state. I have spent about 2 months experiencing life in a relaxed state. It has been challenging to maintain a diet without gluten, and more recently dairy products, but what price is that to pay for mental health that has eluded me for my lifetime.

Check out the sushi. I had never eaten sushi before removing gluten from my diet. It is difficult to find carbs that are tasty and interesting to eat when wheat, rye, barley and oats are all removed from the menu. But being challenged to change my diet has also forced me to learn to eat new things. It has been great.

1 comment:

  1. I just saw your post. One of my girls is GF so I have a little interest in it. She cooks amazing things though. She also buys GF oats, so if you miss your porridge - there's hope. It can be a bit hard travelling too; we trudged for hours in Brisbane trying to find some GF lunch; ended up with sushi about 3pm. She asked Starbucks what was in some of their coffees because she's GF, and they said, "no problem, we just won't put any milk in it!" hmmm. nothing to do with milk!! Education is a marvellous thing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete