Friday 16 July 2010

Passion for Mission



I have become impassioned with the needs of the victims of human trafficking in South East Asia. It all began with information about young girls rescued from brothels in Cambodia, and has continued becoming gradually more all consuming. I am planning to travel to Cambodia and Thailand in October to see first hand the work of Destiny Rescue, which is exciting and frightening at the same time.

I also heard on Tuesday of the work of Help International and their projects with the indigenous minority people in Thailand. I could listen all day to stories of lives saved and freedom regained, but experience a sense of deep sadness at the residual damaged done to young lives by selfish exploitation.

I would love to have the opportunity to contribute in a real and practical way, using my skills to make a difference. 'One step at a time' I must keep reminding myself as my mind goes much faster and further than my feet have travelled.

I often feel overwhelmed at the magnitude of the problem of human trafficking and the many facets of human corruption that feed this despicable activity. With so many contributing evils, the job of eliminating trafficking seems impossible. I take inspiration from the life of William Wilberforce and how long he struggled to have slavery outlawed in a society which gained economic benefit from slavery. I have been influenced in a similar way to the quote from Wilberforce in the movie 'Amazing Grace':

'You may choose to look the other way but you can never again say you did not know'

No comments:

Post a Comment